Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
The DBA Skills Upgrade Toolkit by Eddie Wuerch
Friday, March 9, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PST)
The DBA Skills Upgrade Toolkit
This seminar provides a full day of tips, techniques, and scripts operational DBAs can use to better plan, monitor, and control their environments and simplify their lives. ‘Accidental’ DBAs and those experienced with other RDBMS products but new to SQL Server will find this seminar particularly useful.
Chapter 1: Databases, Filegroups, Files, and Disk
- Optimal Windows Server settings for SQL Server
- Database settings that affect performance
- SQL I/O for the DBA:
o Filegroups and files: How many? How Big? Why?
o RAID levels and the effects on performance and uptime
o Capacity planning and monitoring
Chapter 2: TempDB
- What is TempDB
- Optimizing TempDB
- #temp tables vs. table variables
Chapters 3 & 4: The Transaction Log, Backups, and Recovery
- What is the transaction log?
- How is it used?
- Sizing and optimizing the transaction log
- The Restore Strategy – RPO/RTO
- Database backup types
- Transaction log backups and the log chain
- Backup and restore performance
Chapter 5: Performance Monitoring
- File performance
- CPU monitoring
- Deadlock trapping
The seminar includes a printed book with all slides and notes. A collection of scripts is also provided covering the demos and full monitoring scripts.